Thursday, October 17, 2013

Beyond

“I was set free! I dissolved in the sea, became white sails and flying spray, became beauty and rhythm, became moonlight 
and the ship and the high dim-starred sky! I belonged, without past or future, within peace and unity and a wild joy, within 
something greater than my own life, or the life of Man, to Life itself!.. I have had the same experience, became the sun, 
the hot sand, green seaweed anchored to a rock, swaying in the tide. Like a saint's vision of beatitude. Like the veil of 
things as they seem drawn back by an unseen hand. For a second you see, and seeing the secret, you are the secret. 
For a  second there is meaning!”
 ___ Eugene O'Neill, Long Day's Journey Into Night
 
Never having read  or seen this play, I was not aware of the terse, compact language of Mr. O'Neil.   The play covers one day in the life of a disfunctional family  and is probably not appropriate for a High School presentation -- maybe stick to "Music Man" , or some happy pap, there. 
Many can separate themselves from life for a few seconds  but few can describe it .  .  .  
Just got a copy of this play in the mail for a cent.  I would like to find out the context of this quote.

 


8 comments:

  1. Oh! To be able to write like that...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful.
    For a second there is meaning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful except. His plays are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The writing is amazing, but to feel what he wrote would truly be out of this world. I wish I could write with such passion and feeling. Thanks for sharing such intense words. Hope you are having a Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just dropping by your new blog to wish you Happy Holidays. Love your new blog pic on top. It's spell bounding.

    Blessings,

    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Holidays.
    May you be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year. What wonderful words of this play you have shared. God I wish I could write like that to put with my photos. Well the snow is getting deeper here and that means we will have to head south as access to our place becomes difficult. Yes someday we will have to move from here as age brings on new health issues that can make life here more difficult. It is the most beautiful place, but I have to get ready for the future and get closer to town. There are issues with our present home that may make selling it difficult, so we may keep it for 5 to 10 years yet. Just need a place ready near town if some medical issue arrises where we need to be closer in. It has been the most beautiful week here with sunshine and snow. Visited our new homesite yesterday and there was only a trace of snow there. Certainly not the winter wonderland. Well this snowbird will be heading south by end of week. Won't have internet for 3 months. I always think that is a good thing for me once a year. Wishing you a wonderful winter and take care.

    ReplyDelete